6 Exercises to Improve Concentration and Focus to Coursework
Posted on: April 25th, 2017
We are living in an age where multi-tasking seems to be an important skill not only for machines but also for humans. Originally the word multitasking was a computer science term. Medical specialists advise that the mind is not built to multi-task. Instead of multi-tasking, what the mind is effectively doing is quickly shifting attention from one task to another. Multitasking makes the mind get tired very quickly as it has a tendency to confuse matters while toggling between the information of two or more different tasks.
Once the mind is very tired due to multi-tasking or any other reason, it is not so simple to regain concentration or attention. Sleep is one of the most effective ways of how to get confidence back to par. But this may not be a viable solution each time. Are there other ways or exercises to improve concentration without going to sleep? If exercise improves concentration, is it truly effective in helping to calm nerves? Let us look at some basic techniques which can assist you to achieve a better concentration.
Improvement of Concentration in Specific Environments
- Organise Yourself: If you want to achieve unwavering attention towards all of your daily tasks, it is imperative that you organise everything. The best way to do this is to allocate a period of time during the beginning of the week to organise everything. Make a list of all the obligations that you have to accomplish during the course of the week. Schedule the most appropriate time for each one, to complete each task with full efficiency. Now make a list of all the people you need to meet in the next few days. Schedule the meetings according to each person’s availability. Now if anyone tries to forcefully complicate your schedule, let them know that it is time to stop bullying you around and that you are busy.
- Soothing Environments: Whether we like to admit it or not, background noise does affect efficiency of our work. This is one of the reasons why your local library will be quieter than most other settings. Studies have found that when we work in complete silence, without any distracting sounds our potential to achieve productive work in the first attempt increases. To put it simply, we get things done in the first attempt. Those same actions done in the presence of distracting sounds and you will not be so successful in the first attempt. If you are studying with the television on or while texting, it is not going to be conducive to learning.
Physical Workouts to Improve Total Body Concentration
- Physical Exercise: Physical exercise for concentration has some of the most favourable outcomes towards helping the mind to focus. We tend to think of exercise as physical labour which is why we keep putting it off until later. This time, before completing your statistics coursework or any other academic task, go for a walk. It will help you to deliberate on your coursework help much more efficiently. Better yet, if you have the time and resources go for a swim. Stop thinking of exercise as physical labour, this is the only thing which is actually good for you both mentally and physically.
- Relaxing Exercise: Lie down on the floor or a particularly flat surface with your face facing the ceiling and your arms extended. Try to remove all the different thoughts in your mind regarding the day’s responsibility and everything else. Now close your eyes. Feel your heart beating, each beat of the heart. Feel the blood being pumped from your heart in your chest to all the way to your spine, both up and down. From your spine feel it is being pumped in to your neck, arms and legs. Keep your eyes closed the whole time to focus on each single heartbeat. Once you feel the blood pulsing through your whole body you can open your eyes. You will feel fresh after this activity.
Methods of Soothing the Mind of All the Negative Energy
- Resolving to Relax: The purpose of relaxing the mind is to achieve clarity and resolve to be able to complete everyday activities better. One of the best ways of doing this is the old-fashioned way. Go to a bookstore and go into the kids section. Here you will find various different types of colouring books and pencils. Find a book with content you find interesting. Spend some time colouring in the book. It will clear your mind of all outside thoughts.
- Enjoy Nature: Find out about exotic landmarks close to your vicinity. It could be a waterfall, a forest, a beach, a zoo or even a water park. Plan a picnic and enjoy the sunset at the beach, it will help put a lot of things in to perspective.